CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, July 21, 2008

Camping in the mountains

We went on a camping trip with our ward to the Big Horn Mountains. On Friday we met at our church house and got all our stuff loaded into Wes's Jeep. We left around 4:30pm and headed north into the mountains. It was a beautiful canyon drive with pine trees on both sides covering the mountains with a thick pine forest. The road switched back and forth all the way up the side of the mountain giving us a wonderful view extending from the foot of the mountain outward until it dissolved into the horizon. As we turned onto the back road leading to the camp sight we saw a bunch of wildlife and I snapped a few photos of some deer.





I was tired of driving by the time we arrived at the camp sight. All I wanted to do was get out and stretch. It was a beautiful spot with little white and purple flowers all over the ground and there was a pit already dug out for a fire. All we had to do was put up Wes's tent and get a fire ready so we could cook our tin foil dinners.



Lex was enjoying himself, he was looking at everything especially the fire. This was his first camping trip out in the wild.





We all stayed up late chit-chatting and having a blast. However, when 11:00 rolled around Pres. Carmen and Rick headed off to bed (with Lex soon to follow) while the rest of us lingered around the camp fire. We weren't out long when all of a sudden it started raining on us. We all said our "Good Nights!" and swiftly made off to our tents. The rain lasted just long enough for us all to make it to our tents and get settled and then we didn't get another drop for as long as we were camping. but I could not go to sleep for another hour and neither could Wes so we ended up talking for another hour.

Lex was not to excited to sleep in a strange place, he kept waking up and whining through out the morning so I would give him his binky and then he would go back to sleep and then a little while longer and he would wake up again, it was hard because I didn't want him to disturb the sleep of everyone else. By 7:00am I was exhausted and Rick was getting up so I gave lex to him because he was awake also and I was able to lay their and get a little more rested.

As I was laying in bed, someone called out "look a moose". I looked out of the tent and there it was passing by our tent. I wanted to get a picture, but remembered I had put the camra in the jeep.

We ate some dutch oven breakfast burritos for breakfast and they were good! A little later we went for a hike to see Porcupine falls. It was down a steep trail that was somewhat slippery. I had Lex in a sling and was able to make it down safely, though it felt like forever till we got to the bottom where we beheld the beautiful falls.




We had a blast and climbed all over the rocks, did some fishing and I took plenty of pictures. Seth and Wes were crazy enough to jump off the rocks into the water and found out that it was ice cold water. they had a fun time warming back up after that experience. The hike back up the mountain was the hardest at least for me, I am not as in good a shape as I would have liked but it ended up being shorter than I had thought. We cooked up some lunch, Wes and a couple others caught some fish so we cooked those in the fire as well and had a delicious meal. Cleaned up camp and headed home. I tell you what, I was exhausted and fell into bed that night.

0 comments: